A white arrow Go back to pawsome news

Autumn Illnesses to look out for this October

30th September 2020

Dear easipetcare friends,

The blustery season brings a range of unwelcome Autumn Illnesses to be aware of this October, but have no fear, our expert advice is here!

SEASONAL CANINE ILLNESS:  Usually occurs after walking in woodland areas in the Autumn months. Symptoms include sudden onset of vomiting, diarrhoea and lethargy. Treatment usually includes IV-fluids, supportive care and in some cases antibiotic therapy. Reported cases from East Anglia, The Midlands, Nottinghamshire, and The New Forest.

CONKERS: Serious cases of poisoning are rare but not unheard of and ingestion can cause gastro-intestinal problems (drooling / vomiting / diarrhoea) but treatment to control vomiting can be given.

ANTI-FREEZE: ingesting the smallest amount of this toxic liquid can cause severe kidney damage, even death, especially in cats. Signs of antifreeze poisoning can show 30 minutes after ingestion. It can be two/three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.

ACORNS: Contain tannins which can cause blockage and liver and kidney damage if a large quantity is consumed or eaten by smaller dogs.

MUSHROOMS: Severity is dependent on the type of mushroom but symptoms include vomiting, diarrhoea, neurological and liver problems. Because it is sometimes difficult to identify what type of mushroom your dog has consumed, you should always bring the suspected mushroom with you when you take your dog to see our vets at your local easipetcare practice.

RODENTICIDES – RAT/MOUSE POISON: Designed to kill rats and mice, rodenticides are often appealing to pets which could prove to be a terrible mistake! When ingested in sufficient quantities by a cat, it results in spontaneous bleeding (internal bleeding, external bleeding, or both). Common symptoms in dogs include loss of appetite, impaired movement, paralysis of the dog’s hind limbs, muscle tremors, seizures, and a depression of the central nervous system. Ingestion of extremely high doses may cause a sudden onset of muscle tremors, and even seizures. If you suspect your cat or dog has eaten any type of poison please bring the box of poison with you if possible so that our vets can give your pets the best possible treatment.

If you are at all concerned or are worried about your precious pet having any of these symptoms mentioned please give your nearest easipetcare practice a call ASAP. We hope your pets enjoy the change in season and have a happy, healthy Autumn ahead 🙂 .

Best wishes,

Judy.xxx

Registering your pet has never been so easi!

A dogFree £5 credit for registering online