Travelling Pets/Passports

The latest pet travel advice

Pet travel advisory

Instead of the current pet passport, your pet will need a new document known as an Animal Health Certificate (AHC). This applies to all pets travelling from Great Britain to the EU or Northern Ireland, after 1st January 2021. From this date onwards, existing UK-issued pet passports will no longer be valid if you’re travelling to the EU or Northern Ireland from England, Scotland or Wales. However, If you currently hold an EU pet passport issued in a European country (not the UK) you can still use your EU pet passport as long as your pet has a valid (in-date) rabies vaccination/certificate.

Any current UK-issued pet passport will not be valid for entry to the EU. You will now need an Animal Health Certificate instead.

When travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland, your pet needs:

  • a microchip
  • a valid rabies vaccination
  • an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) unless you have a pet passport issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland
  • tapeworm treatment for dogs if you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta

These requirements also apply to assistance dogs.

Check the rules of the country you’re travelling to for any additional restrictions or requirements before you travel.

An AHC is valid for 10 days after its date of issue for entry into the EU. The certificate is valid for onward travel within the EU for four months. Please be aware that you will need a new AHC each time you visit the EU.

Your pet will not need a repeat rabies vaccination so long as it’s rabies vaccinations are up to date.

Your dog will need tapeworm treatment for each trip if you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Malta, Northern Ireland or Norway.

There’ll be no significant changes to the existing process of entering Great Britain from the EU. However, please remember that you are required to visit a vet (in your destination country) for tapeworm treatment before returning back to the UK.

When you do arrive back in GB with your pet, you’ll need to present one of the following documents:

  • An EU pet passport (issued in the EU or UK before 1st January 2021)
  • The Animal Health Certificate issued in Great Britain (the one you were issued for travel to the EU)
  • A UK Pet Health Certificate (for travel into the UK only)

The UK Government is advising pet owners to visit a vet at least four months before their travel date to prepare.

Other Considerations before Travel

We appreciate that this can be a confusing time and whilst we will endeavour to help where we can, the best advice for travelling with your precious pet can be found on


There is also a dedicated Pet Travel Helpline, contact details are as follows:




Telephone: 0370 241 1710 (available Monday to Friday between 8:30am to 5:00pm. Closed on bank holidays)

  • Dogs travelling from the UK to EU-listed tapeworm-free countries (Finland, Republic of Ireland and Malta) must be treated for tapeworm 24 to 120 hours (one to five days) before arriving in one of those countries
  • On arrival in the EU, travellers with pets will need to enter through a designated travellers’ point of entry where you may need to show proof of your pet’s health checks and documentation
  • There are different rules that apply for travel from Northern Ireland. Please check online guidance issued by the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs Northern Ireland (DAERA-NI) or speak to your vet for more information

Explore more





New owner packs

New owner packs

Sign-up to our newsletter

Sign-up to our newsletter

Get the latest news and offers from the easipetcare team direct to your inbox!