- our story
- prices & procedures
- our practices
- pet advice
- pawsome news
- contact us
The happiest day on the rabbit calendar is just around the corner and we carrot wait for the Easter Bunny to visit because it can only mean one thing… CHOCOLATE!!
But before you crack-open and enjoy the over-indulgence that this delightful time of year brings, spare a thought for your beloved furry-friends.
Did you know that a UK child will receive an average of 8 Easter eggs every year and eat them over 4 days – that amounts to 8,000 calories, on top of their normal food and drink intake!! And if we aren’t gifting chocolate at this time of year we usually indulge loved ones with money or other confectionary. It will come as no surprise then that households spend an average of £75 on Easter each year! That really is egg-straordinary!
But whilst we can look forward to the over-indulgence that this time of year brings, it is exactly the right time to remind pet owners of the real danger posed to their furry friend by this human treat…
Chocolate poisoning is the most common type of dog poisoning reported to the Veterinary Poisons Information Service (VPIS) and cases of course increase over the next couple of weeks! Whether it be through accidental supply or a general lack of awareness, dogs and cats have a great ability to sniff out and get hold of egg-sactly what they shouldn’t be eating! And with the sheer volume of chocolate in our houses over the Easter weekend, we really must urge pet owners to wise up to the dangers of chocolate consumption… like these poorly pets found out!
This little sugar bear, called Lola, ate a whole Terry’s chocolate orange and had to be given an apomorphine sub-cut by our vets in Reading. Fortunately Lola brought up all of the rich chocolate and went home with activated charcoal to absorb any left in her system. Luckily for Lola there were no lasting side affects 😉
A couple of months ago this sweetie, called Minnie, a 6 year old Lab cross snuffled her way through her mum’s Secret Santa present which she found in her handbag. Her parents had no idea that there was chocolate inside but her amazing nose managed to sniff out the Lindor chocolate, open the wrapping, tear through the box, avoid all the foil wrapping and she ate all of the chocolate. Her mum Katie explained, “We only found out after coming home at lunchtime to an opened Christmas present all over the carpet and a very naughty looking doggy!” Knowing the risk that chocolate poses to pets, Minnie’s parents phoned us immediately to find out what they should do. Minnie ate a total of 125g of Lindt chocolate – that’s the equivalent to the Easter egg pictured above (including the three little bunny rabbits!!). Fortunately Minnie was brought in to see us straightaway and our vets were able to induce emesis, bringing the chocolate back up from Minnie’s stomach. Minnie also suffered no side effects! 🙂
So please take note – chocolate is toxic for dogs, cats and all small furries; meaning they should not be risked with even the smallest amount.
Find out why chocolate is dangerous for your pet on our blog here – Chocoholic Dogs Anonymous
If your pet does eat chocolate you may see any of the following symptoms:
Simple vomiting or diarrhoea can of course be nothing to be concerned about but if you have any concerns at all your vet would of course be delighted to see you and hopefully put your mind at ease.
For more info check out Vets Now, Hills Pet, the RSPCA and the YourCat website.
So if you’re planning your annual Easter egg hunt this year and have a doggy or a kitty with an excellent snout on him (let’s face it they all do!) please make sure you hide them well away from temptation and outside of your pet’s reach!
Enjoy your egg-stravogant over-indulgence this Easter, but don’t whisk it! Be sure to keep one eye on your eggs and one eye on your pet(s)!!
With warm wishes,